Here’s a quick list of the places I’d like to hit up during my 6 months away:
1. I would love to spend a month in Sicily with my family. Ideally I would travel a bit through Italy first. The main reason would be to practice my Italian prior to seeing the fam. Other reasons include food. I absolutely loved the cheese platters in Milan, and there was also one restaurant there (who’s name I can’t remember, but location I can) that served some of the best soups. We went there every night for a bowl, so I must go back. Also, I dream about pizza from the famous da Michele in Naples on a daily basis. I need a few days there, just to eat pizza all day. Also, Torre Normanna in Maiori deserves a visit for sure!
2. I’ve never spent any time in the UK. And after finding my best friend on twitter (@eatsleeplaugh) Edinburgh is so on the list. There are many a foods that Ellie needs to introduce me to, and I am so ready to try them!
3. My favorite place in the world, Turkey, always deserves a visit. Other than wanting to see old friends in Istanbul again, places like Cappadocia and Pummukale have been calling my name for years. Also, I wouldn’t mind going back to Izmir to get some videos of the ceramic industry there. After all, the Turkish ashtrays seem to be RBT’s biggest hit.
4. Syria has been a dream sitting in the back of my head for a few years now. I’ve heard only wonderful things about the place and it’s citizens. I’m dying to see Damascus and interact with some of the friendliest people in the world (or so I’ve heard).
5. I have a good friend from college who lives in (and is from) Seoul. Besides the fact that Moon has been asking me to visit for years, I feel like a stop in Korea with someone I know will be a good step in transitioning to the next destination on the list, where I’ll have no recognition of any part of the language.
6. South East Asia is sort of the all encompassing answer to where I want to spend serious time on the other side of the world. I would ideally hit up Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Laos for starters. I’m sure there’s other places I want to go, but do not know of yet, which is why I assume the bulk of my trip may be spent here. I’ve always been an adventurous eater, and love Asian food. This, coupled with the area’s affordability should make for good times.
7. Australia and New Zealand. Though I’m not sure where in particular I would want to go, or what in particular I would want to see, I can definitely see myself dining on kangaroo in the land down under. A benefit is that I will know a few people there who I will be able to visit. That always makes traveling easier.
There’s other places I would like to go, but I’m trying to be realistic with my time. Six months can pass pretty quickly, and I have no desire to rush through one country or another. If I did have the time though, I would also try to make my way to India, Jordan, Croatia, more of South and Central America, as well as visit those friends throughout the US I’ve been saying for years that I’m going to visit. I’m not really sure how much time is too much or too little in one place or another, and am fully open to suggestions on a good timeframe for S.E. Asia. If anyone’s got an opinion here, my ears are open.